Archiving IMAP and POP3 Multidrop Mailboxes
In this chapter, learn how to archive multidrop mailboxes. Multidrop mailboxes, also called catchall mailboxes, contain emails for more than one person. Generally, all emails for a certain domain are collected therein to be retrieved by an internal email server; the server then distributes the emails among the appropriate user mailboxes. Multidrop mailboxes are also used when sending a copy of all emails to a single mailbox on the email server; MailStore extracts the sender and recipient information from the email headers to assign them to the appropriate users. By using this type of mailboxes it is possible to archive all incoming and outgoing emails.
This article describes the general procedure independent from the e-mail server used. Please find e-mail server specific information in our Implementation Guide.
Setting up the Archiving Process
Setting up archiving processes for multidrop mailboxes is done using archiving profiles. General information about archiving profiles is available in chapter Working with Archiving Profiles.
Please proceed as follows:
- Log on as MailStore administrator using MailStore Client.
- In MailStore, click on Archive Email.
- To create a new archiving profile, select Other Server via IMAP/POP3 from the Email Server list in the Create Profile area of the application window.
- A wizard opens guiding you through the setup process.
- Select Multidrop Mailbox and click OK.
- Fill out the fields Access via, Host, Username and Password. Click on Test to verify the data entered.
For the TLS and SSL protocols only: You have the option to ignore SSL warnings. Generally, these warnings appear if an unofficial certificate is used on the server.
- Adjust any further settings such as how to handle emails with unknown addresses or asking MailStore to delete emails after they have been archived. The latter option is especially sensible when dealing with mailboxes that are exclusively used for archiving.
- Click on Next.
- The timeout value only has to be adjusted on a case-by-case basis (e.g. with very slow servers).
- Click on Next.
- At the last step, select a name for the new archiving profile. After clicking on Finish, the archiving profile will be listed under Saved Profiles and can be run immediately, if desired.
Starting the Archiving Process
Starting the Archiving Process Manually
On the start page of MailStore Client, click on Archive Email and from the list under Saved Profiles, select the appropriate archiving profile. Click on Run. After the archiving process has been executed, a protocol appears. It contains information about the volume of emails that have been archived as well as any errors that may have occurred.
This process can be repeated by the user any number of times. MailStore only archives those emails that are not yet stored in the corresponding user archive. In addition, MailStore detects if emails within the source application (e.g. Microsoft Outlook) were moved to a different folder and repeats such moves in MailStore accordingly.
Automating the Archiving Process
In addition to being executed manually, archiving tasks can also be executed automatically according to a schedule. Simply right-click on an existing profile and select Schedule.... Additional information about this topic is available in chapter Automating the Archiving Process.
As long as no deletion rules were specified upon creating the archiving profile, MailStore Server will never delete or otherwise modify emails in the source application (e.g. Microsoft Outlook).