How to Telnet
Using the telnet command you can test if a port is open.
You can check if a port is open in your network by issuing the telnet command.
telnet [domainname or ip] [port]
- [domainname or ip] is the domain name or IP address of the server to which you are trying to connect
- [port] is the port number where the server is listening
If the port is open, you will see a blank screen. This will mean that connection is successful.
telnet relay.appriver.com 2525
In Windows Vista and Windows 7 you may need to enable telnet first:
- Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs;
- Under Programs and features, click Turn Windows features on or off;
- Tick off both Telnet Client and Telnet Server;
- Click OK.